With all the hoop-lah over these new prayer books, there have been a few questions about why we should pray Scripture based prayers?
What does it add to our prayers?
As I thought and prayed over this question, I found a number of reasons why I pray Scripture…
1. Praying Scripture places our focus squarely on our Heavenly Father and His promises. When we swap our list of requests for the reminders of what He has done, will do, and promises to do for us… well, my friend, the enemy has no more power over us.
Re-centering in the Lord by speaking His Word out loud will break through the wall of fear, frustrations, and overwhelm faster than any amount of eloquent words we may come up with.
2. In praying Scripture we know we are praying truth. Occasionally I don’t know how to pray, or I have no words. However, speaking & praying Scripture over our situations helps us know that we are praying rightly even when there is little else we know what to say.
3. Praying Scripture grows our trust in the Lord. When we speak what is in God’s written word, we know He backs our prayers and petitions. He will not change like the shifting shadows, so when we pray a promise from His Word, we have the assurance that He hears us and will answer according to His Word.
4. Praying Scripture grows our love for the Lord. As we learn to lay claim to His Word with power and authority, we begin to love the Author of those words more and more.
5. Praying Scripture effectively evicts the enemy from your life and situations. When we speak the living Word of God, which is the two-edged sword of the Spirit, the enemy must flee. Praying God’s own words over our lives, homes, family and loved ones, will draw boundaries in the spiritual war zones that the enemy dares not cross.
Friend, we have way more power than we know. When we pray in Jesus’ name the enemy must flee. But when we add the Word of God to those prayers… well, my friend, I like to think I am giving the enemy a taste of the eternal hot stop he is destined for.
When we are praying the power and blessing of God’s Word over our children and loved ones, we are also praying the fear of hell onto Satan and his wicked ones. The Word of God is double-edged. Hallelujah.
So, those are a few reasons why praying Scripture is so powerful. If you could use some those truths in your life, I hope you stick around for when these new prayer books become available on Amazon next Monday, December 11, 2017.
Now it’s your turn… why do you pray Scripture?
Or, tell me which of the five reasons above gives you an extra push to start praying Scripture more intentionally. I’d love too hear from you!
Copyright: pinkomelet / 123RF Stock Photo
FREE Prayer + Devotion!